The Starting school page contains information for families on how to enrol a child in a Victorian government school and outlines the new timeframes for submitting Foundation (Prep) enrolment applications for the 2024 school year.
Our school zone
Our school zone is available on findmyschool.vic.gov.au which hosts the most up-to-date information on school zones in Victoria. Students residing within our school zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined based on your permanent residential address.
Our school manages enrolments using the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and may enrol at another school, if there are available places.
For more information, you can:
- Visit School zones for answers to frequently asked questions
- Call the Victorian School Building Authority (VSBA) on 1800 896 950
- Email the VSBA at email@example.com
2024 Foundation (Prep) enrolments
The Department of Education has released a new statewide Foundation (Prep) enrolment timeline.
The timeline advises families when and how to enrol their child into Foundation (Prep) at a Victorian government primary school, including North Melbourne Primary School.
The new timeline will apply for children starting Foundation (Prep) in 2024. All government primary schools will follow the new timeline in 2023 to support Foundation (Prep) enrolments for the 2024 school year.
You can find information and resources about the new timeline, including factsheets and the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents/Carers’, at: Enrolling in Foundation (Prep).
You will be able to apply to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) 2024 at North Melbourne Primary School from 24 April 2023.
What you need to do:
- Contact our school North Melbourne Primary School at firstname.lastname@example.org book a school tour or to learn more about our school and the enrolment application process
- Download the Foundation (Prep) enrolment information pack from Enrolling in Foundation (Prep)
- Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by Friday 28 July 2023
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 11 August 2023. If you receive an enrolment offer, you should contact our school to accept the offer by Friday 25 August 2023
- Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2023
- Your child will start Foundation (Prep) from Tuesday 30 January 2024.
Enrolment applications submitted after 28 July 2023 will be processed by our school as they are received, in accordance with the department’s Placement Policy.
School Tour Dates
As tour group sizes are limited please e-mail email@example.com to reserve a place noting your preferred date and number of people attending.
Tours will run on the following mornings commencing at 9.15am and take approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- Monday 5 June – Molesworth Street Campus
- Friday 16 June – Errol Street Campus
- Wednesday 21 June – Molesworth Street Campus
- Friday 14 July – Molesworth Street Campus
- Friday 21 July – Errol Street Campus
Enrolments for the 2024 school year will be accepted from 24 April 2023.
2024 Prep Enrolment Information
- Monday 24 April – Enrolment Applications Open
- Friday 28 July – Enrolment Applications Due
For more information:
New Molesworth Campus (P-2)
We are very excited to announce the recent opening of our new Campus which is now home to our Prep to Year 2 students, while our existing school has become our Senior Campus; Years 3 to 6.
To find out more on our exciting new Campus development for our North Melbourne Primary School, please refer to the following link:
North Melbourne Primary School (new campus) | Victorian School Building Authority (schoolbuildings.vic.gov.au)
Please note that the kindergarten will be operated independently by Northern Schools Early Years Cluster inc. Please contact them directly to find out more about their enrolment process:
Northern Schools Early Years Cluster Inc.
T: 03 9306 1662
You will first need to confirm that North Melbourne Primary School is your designated neighbourhood school. This can be done by visiting the Find My School website which hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones. Students residing in this zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address. Please ensure you check the correct enrolment year as boundaries for our areas may differ depending on the year of enrolment.
The Department provides guidance through the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to facility limitations. You can find more information and answers to frequently asked questions on the Department’s website under School zones.
For further information and application forms to enrol at North Melbourne Primary School please download the following:
Submitting your application
Please note we cannot accept forms that have not been fully completed.
Please ensure all sections are completed including:
- Contact phone numbers
- Emergency contacts
- Family doctor contact
- Kindergarten/childcare details
- Copies of reports
- Medical conditions and management plans
- Guardian signatures
Once the Enrolment Application is filled in and all necessary documents obtained, please post or deliver to our school. E-mailed enrolment forms will not be accepted.
North Melbourne Primary School, 210 Errol Street, North Melbourne Vic 3051.
Please ensure copies of the following documents are attached:
- Birth Certificate
- Child’s Passport (if a child born overseas, or if a child born in Australia and parents born overseas)
- Evidence of Residency Status (if parents born overseas)
- Passport and Visa Details of Parents and Child. Note – only holders of Visas that are eligible for the Student Resource Package are able to enrol directly to NMPS. Holders of ineligible Visas need to apply through https://www.study.vic.gov.au/
- Proof of address documents
- A current Lease agreement or contract of sale/council rates. Please note a lease will need to extend beyond February 2024. If unavailable when submitting an application a new lease will need to be provided once available to prove that North Melbourne Primary School is still your designated neighbourhood school at the commencement of the school year, AND
- Two current utility bills e.g. gas, electricity, internet (or connection notices if any recent occupation of residence) or official correspondence from ATO, Centrelink, Banks, etc. that show name and address.
- Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register (information here)
- Court orders relating to access, parenting plans, etc., if applicable.
- Medical conditions or developmental delays – management plans or reports from relevant outside agency (e.g. asthma management plans, therapist reports, etc.) if applicable.
- For Year 1 to Year 6 enrolments, a copy of latest school report available.
What happens next?
Once you have completed the Enrolment Application form and have attached copies of all supporting documents, please post or deliver hard copies to North Melbourne Primary School for checking and processing by Student Administration. Receipt acknowledgement of the enrolment form and accompanying documents will be confirmed by e-mail. Please note, incomplete enrolment forms will not be accepted.
Mid year enrolments for 2023 are accepted throughout the year; please allow at least three days for processing once all required information is supplied.
What year will my child be in?
A child can begin Prep if they turn five in that year by 30 April.
|Year||2023 Birthday date range for year level|
|Prep||01/05/2017 and 30/04/2018|
|Year 1||01/05/2016 and 30/04/2017|
|Year 2||01/05/2015 and 30/04/2016|
|Year 3||01/05/2014 and 30/04/2015|
|Year 4||01/05/2013 and 30/04/2014|
|Year 5||01/05/2012 and 30/04/2013|
|Year 6||01/05/2011 and 30/04/2012|
|Year||2024 Birthday date range for year level|
|Prep||01/05/2018 and 30/04/2019|
|Year 1||01/05/2017 and 30/04/2018|
|Year 2||01/05/2016 and 30/04/2017|
|Year 3||01/05/2015 and 30/04/2016|
|Year 4||01/05/2014 and 30/04/2015|
|Year 5||01/05/2013 and 30/04/2014|
|Year 6||01/05/2012 and 30/04/2013|
What to do if you have just arrived in Australia or moved to North Melbourne?
North Melbourne Primary School can accept enrolments throughout the year provided all the criteria set out in ‘How do I enrol my child?’ are met. Please complete the 2023 Enrolment Form noted below.
Students who have been in Australia for less than six months (18 months for Prep students), and who are not Australian citizens, may be requested to complete an English Language Assessment to determine if they require additional support for their language development. If following an assessment it is determined that a child will significantly benefit from supportive English language schooling, they will be directed to an English Language School for one or two terms before returning to North Melbourne Primary School. These are local primary schools following the Victorian curriculum with a focus on students where English is an additional language.
Further information can be found at the Western English Language School or Collingwood English Language School.